25 February 2009

Survival

Cup of coffee, a plane crash, and my views as the story unfolds

You probably heard, or maybe you didn't. A plane crashed not very close and not very far from my home and near the footballfields where I play. This news story ruined my day as I was watching the news with a cup of coffee and this story came in. I am absolutely FASCINATED by disasters for some strange reasons that I hope are not sick. I never managed to switch the TV of today, and in fact it is still on and I still haven't showered this morning! I know, I know I don't have to sit there all day to know what's going on, I can do something else and I will watch the evening news and then I'll know everything. But I can't ! It's not like I really sat all day behind the TV, it was on all day, but it was always within ear sight of me.

What I like to do I switch between channels and compare, what are these guys saying ? What are they saying ? To see a story unfold and how each channel reacts to it is an interesting thing to follow. Does this make me a newsaddict ? It's a spur of the moment thing and they all have their own different takes and twists and at times like these I feel that I am naturally hungry for information.

It baffles me that some networks somehow seem to forget important information which I have just seen on other channels and has been confirmed over and over again and sometimes even 20 minutes before was reported on other channels, what are all these guys doing in their newsrooms ?

Most worryingly was CNN that had huge difficulties with translations all morning. Honestly, I thought of calling them and doing it for them, in the first few hours they were terribly off at some moments. And their dutch reporter apparently had an off day, perhaps was even stoned. I know that it was probably her first big story, but get a hold of yourself woman ! She hardly made any sense and I felt like she was making up the story as she went along.

I am amazed whenever national geographic channel shows Aircrash investigation or seconds from disaster and when 9-11 happened I sat on the couch for days. But why ? Why is that ? I think I am attracted to disasters because it brings out humanities most basic of instincts, survival. That's also the reason why I think the movie Der Untergang is fascinating, because the behavior shown in that film goes directly against human nature; surviving. I hope I don't ruin it, but in that movie the third reich falls and the people in high places all commit suicide.
Survival is also why I am so drawn to conspiracy theories. Because they often (not directly) threaten humanity in some way. However I am not drawn to it in a sick way, and I was assured of that today when my eyes filled up when I realized that it was inevitable that people had died.

While I am fascinated by all this I am also amazed at a few others. Other headlines today ? RADIOSTATIONS BAN FLYING MUSIC TODAY !
I can understand that you want to do that, but why, why , WHY is that in the news ?

And at the first live press conference when the spokes person repeatedly and annoyingly answered the questions regarding to the passengers that he could not give out information at that moment. Then after some sensible questions another journalist (I honestly don't believe that she is, but what was she doing there ?) made a small variation on the previous questions and asks how many children were there on board.. A telling pause was what she got and then she got the same answer as the others received before her. Man ! so frustrating !


So is there a point to all this ? There has to be ! But there isn't one for once. But I just realized another thing, I think I want to become a documentary film maker.