14 June 2009

Becoming a mythical figure

On this blog I write about politics (does that make me dull?) and art (does that make me gay ?). But there is a lot of other stuff going on in my life besides the stuff I put on my revolution blog. One thing I never shared on here is my love for racing.

It is my first love and it will be my last. And since it is my blog I suppose I can put up anything I want on here right ? Go ahead and leave, see if I care ! I will try to be brief..

So racing; what's so great about it ?

As a child I somehow got infected with a virus. It was racing. I was one year old and instead of putting me infront of the tv and letting me watch cartoons, my parents put me infront of the tv and let me watch the racing channel. Good stuff !

Now I am not going into my personal racing history (being supported in my early gokarting days by 7-up) because this post isn't really about me. But I must tell you that I am a formula one fan foremost. The rest doesn't really catch my attention. After all, I have a life to live you know ?


Reason for this article (yes there is one!)
But today I decided to cook myself a killer lunch and to enjoy it while watching the spanish motoGP race. Normally I never watch it.

The whole race Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo were fighting for the lead. It would come down to these last two laps; I have uploaded the video here as youtube keeps removing it because of copyright issues.

I have uploaded it anyway; not because I want to abuse the rightfull owners of the material, but because I want to use it as a promotion for the sport. I hope that it will contribute to more profits in the future for the parties involved.

Tightrope
I do want to say that the big misunderstanding about any kind of racing is that it is all about crashes and acting like you are a though guy. Actually, it isn't any of that. To be the best, you need to find a balance. Between being on the limit, and crashing and hurting yourself badly. It's a tightrope. Whoever does that the most constantly is the quickest and should win. That's just the driving, there is ofcourse a hudge technical aspect to it aswell. In this video both guys regularly go over the limit but magically stay on the road. I don't know if it is obvious for someone who never watches it but that is certainly what I am seeing here.

On the last lap he did something impossible. On the last corner he goes on a part of the track where nobody has been all weekend. It's the "dirty" side of the track. You generally fall of if you go there. Nobody expected it. And when I saw it happen infront of my own eyes I was certain that he would not have made it. But something in valentino rossi helped him around that corner. The last corner. He managed to pass Lorenzo and won the race. Goosebumps !!

At the end of Valentino's 99th victory he visibly was EXTREMELY happy. It was a memorable victory, one for the history books, one of his greatest victories ever.

The real champions are those who not only can surprise the world, but also themselves in terms of their capabilities. He is already a legend. He will certainly become a myth; i'm very sure of that.