09 January 2009

For all the bums


'fusing folk, jazz and rock into a medium that still sounds fresh today'

Standing at the station yesterday evening, tired hungry and exhausted, I saw my train departing in front of my eyes before it was supposed to ! I gave the conductor the international signal and then I watched the train leave the station. Bummer !

With temperatures below zero and with 31 minutes left for the next train I obviously wasn't to amused about all this. But I soon forgot about my own misery when the song Aqualung by Jethro Tull sprung to mind. Released in '71 it was included in my fathers car-mix-tape collection and therefore I must have heard it a million-zillion times during our holidays to Italy. The song is about a bum in the freezing cold.

Somewhat sad and at the same-time humorous lyrics, it's a fairly well-known classic. To listen click here for the 7 minute version !

For me it is one of those rock classics, and by the way, Jehtro Tull is great, one of the few rock bands in HISTORY that aren't afraid to use flutes !

Also it is one of my favorite songs to sing under the shower when I know that no body is home.