29 December 2008

Gomorra

When I visit my family in Naples people think I'm going to a place that looks like this.
Why is in some places of Naples cancer up over 20% ? For years the south of Italy has been under attack by organized crime and unfortunately the pictures I take in Naples remind the viewers more of places like Sao Paulo Brazil. It's tyranny from within that is destroying the once beautiful Naples. The Mafia (in Naples called Camorra) is responsible for this.

Ofcourse we have all seen The Godfather, Goodfellas and Scarfacebut if you expect anything like that you will be disappointed. Gomorra is a documentary done in movie style.

The movie Gomorra gives you a never before seen insight into the Camorra. Having seen the places the movie talks about and having a basic understanding of the operations that occur daily in the region I thought it was a great ! It's has won several prizes and now also has a nomination for the upcoming oscars. I saw it with my mates in Italy, it blew us away, mostly because the locations were so familiar to us.

In Holland it will be in the cinema's at the end of January.
note: I just saw the movie with dutch subtitles and its pretty off in some places, here is my new suggestion; go to naples, study italian and THEN watch the movie. Because the translation just ruins all the emotions and depth of the movie.